The weather is warming up and it is time for all of us to get outside. Did you know that being outside decreases stress, improves concentration and, among other things, boosts your immune system? I love being outside. Give me a hiking trail or a campsite and I am in my glory. There is something calming about being in the woods surrounded by trees. I could dive deeper into why I love trees, but I’ll keep that craziness to myself.
For now, I will stick to the facts. Did you know one large tree can provide a day’s supply of oxygen for four people? Or that exposure to trees and nature actually reduces mental fatigue? Looking to save money? Trees properly placed around buildings can reduce air conditioning needs by 30 percent and can save 20–50 percent in energy used for heating. The list goes on and on.
April has always been my favorite month, partly because of my birthday, but also because the change in the weather. I love the smell of spring and seeing the flowers popping up after being covered in snow all winter. April is also the owner of Earth Day. The holiday, which takes place on the 22nd, has been celebrated since 1969. This year, Pittsburgh has expanded the holiday. The city has events scheduled from April 21 through April 24. From a runway fashion show highlighting recycled and reused materials to vendors in Market Square and, of course, the Pittsburgh Earth Day Food Truck Festival. Pittsburgh’s got your Earth Day needs covered.
I hope to participate as much as I can, but just in case my time fills up, I looked into other options. Here are five ways you can give back this Earth Day without leaving your house.
- Tentree is a environmentally progressive apparel company selling men’s and women’s fashions. For every purchase made, ten trees are planted. They even have a map showing you where your trees are planted. I love the entire concept. Plus their clothes are super cute.
- WeWOOD designs wooden timepieces from scrap-wood. In 2010, the company teamed up with tree-planting-partners American Forests and Trees For The Future. Now, for every WeWOOD watch purchased, one tree is planted.
- Want to donate? Check out Earth Day Network, the world’s largest recruiter to the environmental movement. The website is also an amazing resource for actions you can take to help the environment.
- Plant a tree or a garden. Planting aids in producing more air for the earth, and there are many small varieties available for your yard. Head on over to your local garden center and ask for help. In my experience, plant people love talking plants.
- I shouldn’t have to tell you this, but recycle. Please. The world population continues to grow and, with that, so does the amount of waste. Not sure what you can recycle? This should help. Wondering where to go? Search for it here.